Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

The Effect of Christmas Trees upon Broken Vacuums




On Saturday, my mother and I crept into our freezing garage, dusted off cardboard boxes, heaved them upstairs, and splashed our walls with green, gold, red, and silver. Most of the decorations went up easily enough, curling up in last year’s allotted slot, but a few needed creative placement. When the last box was empty, I sneezed and slunched into an armchair.

But only for a minute. I wanted the house to look nice, but open boxes and countless fallen plastic pine needles stood between me and my goal. With a final effort, I forced myself to take out the vacuum while Mom put the boxes away.

VAROOM! said the vacuum. But the needles refused to leave their comfy carpet home. I peeked under the vacuum and sighed, exasperated. The brush roll stood motionless.

I gave myself a pep talk. Ok, fine, I can fix the belt. I can do it. I braved the cold garage again, this time for a screwdriver. Four screws later, I discovered that the belt had not merely slipped off its shaft, but had cracked and broken.

Gah! Fine! The needles win! Frustrated and drained, I gave up. I turned on the Christmas tree lights, turned off the room lights, and sat.

In the warm glow of hundreds of minute, colorful suns, the needles didn’t look as prickly and disappointing, and the upside-down vacuum seemed more peaceful. I noticed the star on top of our tree, just above a small nativity ornament.

In light of that nativity, I saw how utterly ridiculous I was to be angry at a broken vacuum. I laughed at myself.

God, how incredible you are. How unimaginable your gifts. In comparison, clean houses are less than plastic pine needles. Forgive me. And thank you. Thank you so much.

*****

Turns out God cares about little things, too. When I showed the vacuum to my father, he said that yes, of course we have an extra belt in (you guessed it) the garage. Fifteen minutes later, God had added one clean carpet to the extensive list of gifts he’s showered on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment