Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Payback

For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: 
sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, 
He condemned sin in the flesh,
so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, 
who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
~Romans 8: 3-4 


"How much did they refund you?" My mom asked.

"$3.74," I grumbled. "But I spent $10.79 for the return shipping. Ugh. I don't want to deal with this anymore."

Through the wonder of modern mass shipping, I had twice been falsely alarmed that my frankincense oil had arrived. When I shipped the erroneous oils back, helpful-customer-service lady had assured me I would be reimbursed.

"What's the difference?" Mom questioned.

"$7.05," I sighed. "I should just say I don't care, just forgive them the seven dollars."

And I did.

But thirty seconds later, I discovered I hadn't. This is silly, Elizabeth, it's just seven dollars. Let it go. But it wasn't fair, and somehow my heart needed it to be rectified.

"I really just don't want to deal with asking them for the extra postage. It's been such a hassle already," I responded to Mom's unasked question.

"You really like that company, don't you? I don't want you to have bad feelings about them. What if I gave you the $7.05 instead of them. Would that help?"

"No, that's silly. But...actually...that might work."

I laughed at myself as Mom dug around her black purse for three bills and five elusive pennies.

"I hereby present this to you in the name of your oil company." She bowed slightly as she gifted me the cash.

"And I accept it on their behalf," I smiled.

As silly as it seemed, her gift really did make all the difference. My heart was satisfied that life was fair. And I bought more oils from my company.

*****
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.



2 comments: