Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

A! Eh?

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, 
as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms.
-1 Peter 4:10

This week I offer a poem I wrote in 2008. I now find myself on the giving end of grades, and this is a good reminder that As have never been the goal of life.


A! Eh?

Another paper handed back
Like every other day
I hardly glace to see that I received
Another A

Getting grades is bittersweet
A mix of pride and apathy
And, as a result, shame
Feeling the touch of injustice from an unexpected side

What of the others?
Did they not try?
I know they studied just as hard
But I’ve the A. Why?

“Just accept it as a gift”
“Use your mind to save the poor”
Each voice, a different opinion
Each voice, a different blur

I take the gift to the one who gave it
“What would you have me do?
I could use an owner’s manual
To teach me proper care and use.”

A comprehensive manual
You did not have in mind
So I’ll take a lamp to guide my feet
And for the present, write.

-23 November 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment